THE DL MEDIA STORY
Since the beginning of operations in December of ’88, DL Media has represented numerous major and independent labels including the prestigious jazz imprints EMI/Blue Note and Mosaic Records. Currently DL Media consults leading independent labels Mack Avenue Records, Justin Time Records, Motéma Music, Sony/OKeh and Smoke Sessions.
DL Media has also consulted with a wide array of labels including: Motema Music, Warner Brothers, Sony Masterworks, Columbia/Legacy, Concord Music Group, Verve Music Group, Marsalis Music, Dreyfus Jazz, RCA Victor Jazz, Evidence Music, ACT Music, Denon, MCA, Island, GRP, Liberty – Nashville, ECM, Shanachie, DIW, Koch International/eOne, Black Saint/Soul Note, Intuition, Savoy, Heads Up, Resonance Records, Jazz Legacy Productions, and Rare Noise Records.
Additionally, DL Media has also represented artists representing traditional and contemporary genres: Roy Haynes, Marian McPartland, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Esperanza Spalding, Ellis, Branford and Wynton Marsalis, Abbey Lincoln, Hank Jones, Joe Lovano, Tina Turner, Willie Nelson, Bruce Hornsby, Mitch Winehouse, Alvin Batiste, Charles Lloyd, Jack DeJohnette, Dave Holland, Acoustic Alchemy, Max Roach, Brian Blade, Stanley Jordan, Kevin Eubanks, Christian McBride, Jim Hall, Gary Burton, Bob James, Keiko Matsui, Kenny Garrett, Tuck & Patti, Grover Washington Jr., Jazz Is Dead, Steve Morse, Derek Trucks, John Sebastian, Shirley Horn, Greg Osby, E.S.T., Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Jukes, Jason Moran, Jeff “Tain” Watts, Charles Tolliver, Terri Lyne Carrington, Dr. Billy Taylor, Clarence Clemons, Joe Zawinul, Bill Laswell, André Previn, Ronnie Laws, Dianne Reeves, Bobby McFerrin, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Michael Brecker, Steve Kuhn, Billy Cobham, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Jon Faddis, Jan Garbarek, Dizzy Gillespie, Trilok Gurtu, Woody Allen (Bunk Project), Bill Charlap, Bobby Short, John Patitucci, Charlie Haden, Brad Mehldau, David Murray, Gunther Schuller, Vince Mendoza, John Scofield, Al Green, Anita Baker, Jimmy Scott, Uptown String Quartet, Cassandra Wilson, Yellowjackets, and Courtney Pine, Kamasi Washington, Pat Matheny, Vijay Iyer and Rudresh Mahanthappa.
“I felt that there was great music being produced all over the world and these artists needed a voice in the U.S.,” states President Don Lucoff. As a result, DL Media has successfully ventured into the Brazilian and world music field representing artists such as: Caetano Veloso, Milton Nascimento, Hermeto Pascoal, Toninho Horta, Ricardo Silvera, Marisa Monte, Carlinhos Brown, Mahlathini and The Mahotella Queens, Fela Kuti, and Zulu Spear, Kodo, Alpha Blondy, Hugh Masekela, Lucky Dube, Salif Keita and the Skatalites.
The company also actively promotes to the Latin music and consumer press working over the years with clients: Bebo and Chucho Valdés, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Arturo O’Farrill, Michel Camilo, Danilo Pérez, David Sánchez, Eddie Palmieri, Arturo Sandoval, Miguel Zenón, Guillermo Klein, Francisco Mela, Magos Herrera, Alfredo Rodriguez, Los Van Van and Paquito D’Rivera. “Latin music has traditionally been influenced by European and African culture, but with the advent of the MTV generation it has also taken on sub-genres that mirror what is happening in American music.” states Vice President of International Operations and Colombia native Maria Echeverria.
DL Media has consulted and/or continues to work with jazz and world music festivals around the world including: Jazz Aspen Snowmass (Colorado), Barcelona International Jazz festival (Spain), Panama Jazz Festival (Panama), Detroit Jazz Festival (Michigan), OutBeat Festival (Philadelphia, PA) Portland Jazz Festival (Portland, OR), Freihoffers Jazz Festival (Saratoga, NY), Mellon Jazz Festival (Philadelphia), Bell Atlantic Jazz Festivals (NY, Boston, Phila. and Washington D.C.), Jazz UV (Xalapa, Mexico), Vancouver International Jazz Festival (B.C.), Akbank Jazz Festival (Istanbul), Jazz Marciac (France), Tuscia in Jazz (Italy) and Festival d’ Ete’ de Quebec (Canada). DL Media also consulted BET Event Productions, representing their respective festivals in St. Lucia, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Cayman, and Barbados.
Additionally, DL Media has consulted a variety of organizations in the music industry, including: the International Association of Jazz Educators (directed press efforts and devised the industry track panels for the conference from 1995 until their demise in 2008), PDX Jazz, the American Pianists Association, Jazz Connect Conference, the Afro Latin Jazz Alliance, Chick Corea Productions, Absolutely Live Productions, BET Jazz, Jazz Journalists Association, and JAZZ ROOTS.
“In the end we owe our success to the artists,” reflects Lucoff. “We wouldn’t be here without their talent.”
Public Relations Internship with DL Media
- Prepping and mailing packages/press kits to send to media members
- XL docs and mailing list edits for album mailings
- Answering phones
- Maintaining databases in both Constant Contact and FileMaker programs
- Contacting and researching various media outlets to add to the database
- Creating, editing and laying out press releases and customized email blasts using Constant Contact
- Pitching various artists for tour press (in various tour markets) as well as pitching various artists to obtain press for their album
- Working in WordPress to update DL Media’s website with press releases, announcements, new content, etc.
- Bring the DL Media social networking sites up-to-date and maintain consistency in posting materials
- Migrating and organizing content for various online platforms
- Performing other new media/online marketing tasks (i.e. setting up targeted Facebook ad buys, posting press releases on various blogs, and setting up song streams, among other tasks)
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills
- Strong knowledge of Mac OS X
- Strong knowledge and experience using the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite as well as other basic programs
- Ability to talk on the phone with confidence and personality as well as the ability to effectively notate messages from callers
- Must be able to set aside at least two days a week with a minimum of 12 hours a week
- Knowledge of new media/Web 2.0 is a plus, but not required.
- Having an understanding of WordPress is a plus, but not required.
Please send resumes via email to:
Matthew Jurasek · firstname.lastname@example.org